What to do with extra jalapenos?

I have about 10 extra jalapenos at home - starting to turn red and wrinkly. Ideas for this many jalapenos? Also, will turning red alter their flavor?

asked by meganvt01 almost 6 years ago

SeaJambon

Make jelly? Dry for future use? Put in freezer for future use?

chef of the future 2000

Freezing fresh peppers is not a great option , I would roast them and store in a air tight jar in olive oil. Those will last a really long time.

SeaJambon

Roast then freeze -- yes, better choice. :)

Slow Cooked Pittsburgh

Only 10!?!?! I beg borrow and steal extra peppers from neighbors and friends. First, I grind them and mix with vinegar and salt. Second batch gets mixed with simple syrup and cooked for sweet and sour spicy pepper sauce. Both last the full year if stored in the fridge. If all else fails, you can also make a fabulous drink infusion, give them a good rinse and drop them in your alcohol of choice (for example, jalapenos, hmmm, Mexican...how about tequila/jalapeno/cilantro/cinnamon stick, let sit for as long as you can stand to watch it, then mix as a lime daquiri--ZOW!)

Bevi

Char one of them over the stove top and dice finely and put in the Pretty in Pink watermelon gazpacho to heat it up a bit. Delish!

meganvt01

Thanks all! These are great ideas!

I do a lot of outside grilling over real wood charcoal. Grill up some big fat ones until the skin blackens. Stick them in a paper bag to steam for awhile. Peel off the skin and chop for a pico de gallo type salsa.

petitbleu

Oooh. Homemade chipotles en adobo. I made several batches last year and stored them in the fridge, and they went a long way. I used this recipe http://becksposhnosh.blogspot... and subbed apple cider vinegar for the red wine vinegar, and added lots of garlic and spices (cumin, coriander). Of course, to be truly authentic, you would smoke the red jalapeños first, but you could definitely get away with just roasting them.

BoulderGalinTokyo

Ohh, to be so lucky.....