Rosemary bush needles turning red: still ok to use as flavoring?

I have a rosemary bush in a potted herb garden here in SF. It was fine and green until a few months ago when the rains started. Now it's turned a deep red in a lot of places. I moved here recently so I don't know if this is normal. Does the flavor change? Will it go back to normal? I'm making a roast tomorrow...

asked by Reneejustrenee about 4 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd only use the green needles. My suspicion is too much water and soil that doesn't drain well enough so the roots get waterlogged. I'd repot the plant using soil that will drain well, like a cactus mix. If the wet root issue is resolved the plant should survive.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Sorry, definitely not normal. Not sure it needs a cactus mix but a repotting does sound in order. Two questions: Does the pot have drain holes in the bottom? Do animals have access to the area? Back on the farm growing up we had an expression: Never pick berries growing lower than the tallest dog in town. In any case, as HLA says, only use the green parts. Or thyme is another nice herb for a roast.

No. Don't use rosemary, or any fresh herb really, that you aren't certain of its freshness. It could ruin your dish.