🔕 🔔

What to do with a lot of fresh jalapenos?

I have about 15-20 very spicy red and green jalapeno peppers as well as about 5 unidentified long spicy peppers from a neighbors garden. What should I do with this wealth of peppers? I like the idea of freezing some in some way then perhaps doing some preserving/ making jelly but I wanted to see if anyone had any great ideas? Thanks!

asked by Hallie over 2 years ago

lapadia

Here's an idea of mine https://food52.com/recipes...

Mike Swanger

Boil a brine of 2 cups white vinegar, 6 cups water, and 1/2 cup pickling salt. Slice the peppers and add them with a couple cloves of peeled garlic to quart jars. Pour the boiling brine over the peppers and let them sit in the fridge for a day or two. Best peppers I've ever had for nachos or adding to sandwiches. Note that when I make these I can fit about a dozen jalapeños in a jar but obviously that depends on the size of yours.

Dehydrate the peppers. At a later date you can grind them or uses them whole.

Hillary Reeves

Love this idea!

Some favorites -
pepper jelly (add some bell peppers)
harissa (North African hot pepper paste condiment with olive oil) here's one from Ottolenghi-Tamimi cookbook, Plenty:
http://www.epicurious.com...
stuffed fried jalapenos as appetizer or, apparently as main with things like chicken - many recipes available

Meaghan F

Pepper jelly is always a good idea.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Hallie - I've had excellent results pickling them. Linda Zeidrich has some great recipes available online that I've used, as well as in her book, 'The Joy of Pickling'. Enjoy your bounty!

cookbookchick

I've tossed them whole into the freezer in a tightly sealed plastic freezer bag. Works fine for me for most uses.

I like to pickle them Mexican style. Here's one recipe:

http://www.davidlebovitz...

that seems to be quite popular here with some Food52 readers.

Pam p

I just made an assorted chili jam that turned out great. Just de-seed (or not) and puree all the chilies and boil them with apple cider vinegar, sugar, some lemon slices and chopped up green apples (for pectin). Strain the liquid and boil till it is almost a jelly -- then enjoy with sharp cheese or eggs or whatever captures your fancy. See: https://food52.com/hotline...

My BBQ-fanatic friend makes these stuffed jalapenos:
-halve the peppers and de-seed (wear gloves, please)
-stuff each half with a small cube of cream cheese, and maybe a cooked, preferably smoked, meat (like ground breakfast sausage)
-top with the other half
-wrap the whole pepper with bacon, secure with toothpick
-grill until the bacon is cooked with crispy edges

These always went first at his parties.

That's really not very many, doesn't seem worth bothering with anything complicated. You can put them in the freezer whole and they'll be good for cooking for up to a year- it's a little easier if you clean them first. You needn't worry about them sticking together in the freezer, and they thaw almost instantly.

Melissa McKelvey

Cowboy Candy: http://tastykitchen.com...

I just made my first batch of it last night and it's a great way to use a ton of peppers quickly!

Hillary Reeves

I've made a sauce like this one with lots of different kind of peppers. Just make sure to slowly roast/dry out your peppers before you do. The sauce is simple to can or store in the fridge for a few weeks. It comes in super handy when making enchiladas or other Mexican dishes!

Hillary Reeves

Oops! Here's that recipe: http://www.simplyrecipes...

Fresh peppers don't really work for this type of sauce, although good sauces can be made from them- the reconstituted dry peppers taste and behave completely differently. They can be made with different chiles, but at least some Ancho is near universal for enchiladas. Anchos are the ripened form of Poblano peppers (often called Pasilla- I haven't encountered that name for Anchos-yet). If you can find true Pasilla (Pasilla Bajio), a long, thin chile that matures to a brownish purple, they are very good, but not often seen.

Bevi

This is a great seasonal dish: https://food52.com/recipes...

Amanda

If you're in the mood to entertain you can use them multiple ways for a Mexican themed gathering. Chop them up with some tomatoes, red onions, cilantro and lime for a fresh salsa, mince them into a homemade guac, use them to flavor a queso dip or ground meat for tacos, and you can even do a quick pickle of a handful of sliced green jalepenos for nachos. Finally you can use them in a spicy mango-margarita if you're feeling adventurous :)