Your Best Omelette Pan?

Over the years, my husband has gotten really skilled at making a classic 3-egg rolled omelette. We had a nonstick pan that worked perfectly for it - I say *had* because it got damaged, and the nonstick surface scratched to the point of no return. So we're in the market for a replacement. Does it pay to go upmarket, All-Clad or similar? Or should we stick with a less spendy model like the one we're replacing? Tell me about your favorite omelette pan, friends. Thank you.

asked by lastnightsdinner about 6 years ago

ChefOno

I think it's all about personal preference and budget. I can make good arguments for the All-Clad stainless d5 non-stick "fry pans" I use for the purpose, I can turn out a decent omelette using a beat-up steel pan in a restaurant or a scratched-up aluminum relic in a rental.

There's a lot to be said about how a good tool feels in your hand and the joy that comes from using one instead of just "making do". The even heat transfer of a good pan makes is much easier to avoid browning the eggs (which is a sin in my book).

You might want to take a look at All-Clad's d5 omelette pan (which just happens to be on sale at Williams-Sonoma right now).

allans

I love my 10" tin lined Mauviel copper pan for omelets. To me, it's perfect in every way and have been using it for 30 years.

bugbitten

I have only two non-stick pans and they are both exclusively for eggs. They are both from Calphalon -- thick enough for this application and a good value. Sooner or later, we all toss out a non-stick pan with regret.

josefernandez

My carbon steel fry pan. Once it's seasoned, you can sear, fry and do anything you want. The carbon steel is like cast iron but without the weight. Bourgeat makes an excellent carbon steel pan. http://www.cookwareinsider...

I agree that there are good nonstick options. But if you do go upscale nonstick, I've been really happy with Scanpan. It's so tough, you can use metal utensils with it. I've used one pan virtually every day for more than two years, and the surface is still great.

THE MATH CHEF

I like stainless steel pans - I don't avail myself of the non-stick options.

a cast iron fry pan, called a crepe pan, about 7" plus-minus diameter. great for omelets, crepes, small jobs any sort. can go under broiler. not heavy like many cast iron