🔕 🔔

@Food52hotline - I have some freezer-burnt salmon fillets :( What are my options?

asked by @LindseyMNorris about 5 years ago

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

How are they packaged? Are they in plastic freezer bags, or are they vacuum sealed?

If they're vacuumed sealed, I'd try to use them. Defrost them in a cold water bath and see how they look. If the color is good- ie not gray- and they smell fine, I'd use them. If they are in plastic freezer bags, defrost in the fridge. Check color and smell before making a decision.

Just cook it. Best case, you have salmon. Worst case, you have no salmon.

C1aa93d7 c7a4 4560 aa6d 6dca74cc98ca  smokin tokyo

I think the 2 previous answers are right in the cook and smell test. But you might not want to serve as a fillet. I haven't tried this particular recipe, but ochazuke is a very simple dish where the broth covers some texture or other problems that may occur.

http://food52.com/recipes...

Picture to die for...

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I agree with above. You mIght want to try this recipe...it's delicious and would hide any textural problems.
http://food52.com/recipes...

I've made it without curry and it was still delicious.

4f98639e b8b3 42cd 9b01 ec8a503c5fdd  2010 09 15 14.22.07

If the filets are OK in terms of color and smell, cook them right up and instead of serving as is, make a salad by lightly flaking the cooked salmon, adding mayo and lemon juice to taste, then some finely diced preserved lemon and/or onion, and a bit of freshly ground pepper. I have done this with frozen arctic char that was past its prime and it was surprisingly good.