🔕 🔔

Fresh yellowtail ideas?

A friend just gave my husband some yellowtail that was caught two days ago. I have no experience with this fish, but I know I won't have time to cook it until the day after tomorrow. I am wondering a) if it'll be OK in the fridge until then (caught on a Tuesday, cooked the following Saturday), and b) if any of you can share your ideas on what to do with it (especially interested in hearing how it does on the grill).

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Poke. It's a Hawaiian dish. Just google "Poke recipe" and I'm sure you'll find a good one.

Pronounced Po-Kay.

3162c11b e070 4795 95d1 fd9492a6b582  lulusleep

Marinate it in some miso, mirin, sake and sugar. Leave in the fridge for a few days. I usually do 2-3, but could be 5 days. Then bake or broil.

00c46d23 3575 4258 98ff 95bf01356ea4  stringio

Yellowtail tuna or snapper. Love them both

Yellowtail is a slightly oily fish (in a good way---your Omega 3's). Terrific on the grill brushed with olive oil, squeeze of lemon, sea salt and pepper. It doesn't need anything more than that. Just don't cook it over briquettes unless you like the taste of petroleum.
I'm a bit concerned that after five days out of the ocean it's going to be a little "tired."

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Pierino, should it be cooked all the way through?

Cooked through? Yes. It should be kind of flaky.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks for the ideas, all. I'm going to (gulp) entrust my husband with cooking the fish since I won't be home to do it and four days out of the sea seems better than five. He's going to try the grilling option, since it sounds yummy and that's what he's most comfortable with.