🔕 🔔

I made a lightly cooked fresh tomato sauce last night and it came out very soupy. What can I do to avoid this problem?

asked by baystate almost 4 years ago
ATL

You could seed the tomatoes and not put in all the juice, but you will lose some flavor. For now, you could add. a tbsp or so of tomato sauce and just keep cooking and reducing it. Eventually it will thicken.

I don't agree this is not the best answer depends all on the tomatoes you use Roma very ripe are the best more pulp less seeds . Seeds make for a bitter tomato sauce.fresh tomatoe sauce is only cooked for ten minutes to keep the fresh flavor

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Use fewer tomatoes?

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

Next time, AFTER cooking, you could use a sieve (fine mesh strainer) to drain off the watery liquid, giving more "heft" to your sauce...also make sure your pasta is well drained...little flavor if it is a watery mess. This actually happened last night when our daughter ordered a pasta dish she's ordered many times...just inedible.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

sometimes tomatoes can go from lightly cooked to shedding their skins and liquid pretty quickly. This time of year if you're using fresh tomatoes, I wouldn't even cook them. I might put some olive oil and garlic in a pan over medium heat for a few minutes, but not actually add the tomatoes over the heat. Turn off the heat, add the tomatoes to the pan, then (as Lori goldsby says) well drained hot pasta. Reserve a little pasta water, though, in case it's too dry. Toss everything in the still hot pan adding a little pasta water as needed.

C4c10cd5 69e8 4d54 b39c c5870da2826b  james joyce 1

This question is tough to answer without knowing what else went into the sauce in terms of ingredients. Carrots? Onion?. These add some balance no matter what type of tomato you are using. A handy thing to have is a food mill. Normally you would peel the tomatoes first but if you have a mill you skip that step. Dice carrots and onion, saute to give them some color. Add chopped garlic and fresh basil and of course your tomatoes. Run that mix through your food mill which will also strain out most of the seeds. Reduce further in the sauce pan. That should do it.