how to make lamb not taste gamey

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen August 3, 2012

I personally think New Zealand lamb tastes "gamey" and will not buy it. American Lamb, however , well it's the best!! (No gamey taste that I can discern)

pierino August 3, 2012

I am totally with inpatskitchen on this answer and would have replied the same way myself. For awhile it seemed that 90% of the lamb sold in the USA came from New Zealand---I mean what the hell else do they have to export. But there is fine lamb being raised in the US now (just stay away from Costco) mainly from Colorado. As far as foreign exports it looks like Iceland wants to get into the game. Could be good, don't know yet.

Darlene Carrigan
Darlene Carrigan August 3, 2012

I'm not a big fan of lamb for that exact reason. On a recent trip to Paris, I finally tasted a lamb that was utterly delicious. It was a boneless leg of lamb, roasted with herb paste. After several attempts, and conferring with various cookbooks, I think I have come close to the lamb in Paris!

I make a "paste" from minced garlic, parsley, rosemary, anchovies, dijon, S&P, lemon zest. Add enough olive oil so that you can easily spread in the nooks and crannies of the boneless leg of lamb. Re-tie the lamb and bake as usual. Lamb medium rare, has the least gamey taste to me.

pierino August 4, 2012

What Darlene is likely referring to might be called "spring lamb". In France, Italy and Spain lamb is slaughtered at a younger age than is customary for what is sold in supermarkets in the US. Sorry about that PETAphiles, but that's the truth. It's not the seasoning it's the age of the meat and of course proper cooking. The French and the Italians are really good at that.

HalfPint August 3, 2012

Here's a good website for making lamb less gamey:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/555171-how-to-remove-the-game-smell-when-cooking-lamb-chops/

petitbleu
petitbleu August 4, 2012

I find that a lot of the gamey flavor you're talking about resides in the fatty tissue of the lamb. Try to find a relatively lean cut first off. Otherwise, trim the fat a bit before cooking. You can also pair the lamb with something acidic--a tomato sauce, for instance. That should cut down on it some.
Interestingly, a lot of sheep's milk cheeses have something of a strange flavor as well, due largely to the lanolin that sheeps produce to keep their pelt water-resistant. If you've ever touched an unwashed sheepskin, you know what I mean.

ATL
ATL August 4, 2012

My mother is from a Serbian family that makes wonderful leg of lamb. Her secret--which sounds strange--is to add a whole green pepper to the roasting pan. Something about the pepper suffuses the lamb with a delicate, hard-to-explain but delicious flavor. She also inserts slivers of garlic into the meat (as do I) and roasts until it is very tender.