Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

how to make lamb not taste gamey

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 4 years ago
53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I personally think New Zealand lamb tastes "gamey" and will not buy it. American Lamb, however , well it's the best!! (No gamey taste that I can discern)

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I am totally with inpatskitchen on this answer and would have replied the same way myself. For awhile it seemed that 90% of the lamb sold in the USA came from New Zealand---I mean what the hell else do they have to export. But there is fine lamb being raised in the US now (just stay away from Costco) mainly from Colorado. As far as foreign exports it looks like Iceland wants to get into the game. Could be good, don't know yet.

I'm not a big fan of lamb for that exact reason. On a recent trip to Paris, I finally tasted a lamb that was utterly delicious. It was a boneless leg of lamb, roasted with herb paste. After several attempts, and conferring with various cookbooks, I think I have come close to the lamb in Paris!

I make a "paste" from minced garlic, parsley, rosemary, anchovies, dijon, S&P, lemon zest. Add enough olive oil so that you can easily spread in the nooks and crannies of the boneless leg of lamb. Re-tie the lamb and bake as usual. Lamb medium rare, has the least gamey taste to me.

What Darlene is likely referring to might be called "spring lamb". In France, Italy and Spain lamb is slaughtered at a younger age than is customary for what is sold in supermarkets in the US. Sorry about that PETAphiles, but that's the truth. It's not the seasoning it's the age of the meat and of course proper cooking. The French and the Italians are really good at that.

Here's a good website for making lamb less gamey:
http://www.livestrong.com...

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I find that a lot of the gamey flavor you're talking about resides in the fatty tissue of the lamb. Try to find a relatively lean cut first off. Otherwise, trim the fat a bit before cooking. You can also pair the lamb with something acidic--a tomato sauce, for instance. That should cut down on it some.
Interestingly, a lot of sheep's milk cheeses have something of a strange flavor as well, due largely to the lanolin that sheeps produce to keep their pelt water-resistant. If you've ever touched an unwashed sheepskin, you know what I mean.

ATL

My mother is from a Serbian family that makes wonderful leg of lamb. Her secret--which sounds strange--is to add a whole green pepper to the roasting pan. Something about the pepper suffuses the lamb with a delicate, hard-to-explain but delicious flavor. She also inserts slivers of garlic into the meat (as do I) and roasts until it is very tender.