What is the best way to grill pumpkin or butternut squash? My son, who lived in Buenos Aires last summer, says it's delicious. Any tips? ;o)

Should it be pre-cooked by steaming or some other method? Do the Argentines marinade it, or brush anything on it before or while grilling? Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

chef of the future 2000

Slice it coat with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook on medium low heat for 20-30 minutes flipping half way through. You could also try some brown sugar and nutmeg ( not too much) on top for a slightly sweeter side.

pierino August 9, 2012

The Argentines are ingenious grillers. The way they arrange their coals is almost proprietary. Use real wood coals but bank it to the outsides so that your squash is getting indirect heat brush with oil, salt and pepper. I will politely disagree with chef of the future on cooking time, it should be much less than 20 minutes. With wood you are working with a very hot but smoky oven. Serve with chimichurri on the side---it's a condiment not a marinade. You might want to cook some sausages or sweetbreads at the same time.