A question about a recipe: Hot Pepper Jelly

35fc9c80 210c 495f a247 082ccdd7f808  img 1740

I have a question about the recipe "Hot Pepper Jelly" from apartmentcooker. Would powdered pectin work in this?

asked by Dona over 6 years ago

According to what I had read when making pepper jelly for the first time, liquid pectin is used to make pepper jelly because the jelly would set up properly. Apparently, the same could not be said for powdered pectin. This was from a number of different cookbooks including the Ball canning and preserving book.

Dona

Thanks. I'll wait until I have liquid.

Alison Lee

I made the jelly today with powdered pectin, using the following F52 recipe for converting powdered to liquid pectin:
http://www.food52.com/hotline...

Assuming that the Certo liquid pouch used for the jelly recipe was 6 oz, I boiled up 4 tsp of powdered Pomona's pectin to make 1 cup's worth liquid, and used all but 2 oz. The jelly set rapidly and beautifully, without becoming pasty.