What can I substitute for coffee extract?

Will instant espresso powder work?

asked by LBurt over 7 years ago

What's your application? You may be able to cold brew your own, or you may be able to sub with espresso powder.

LBurt

It is for buttercream frosting

The Cake Bible uses 2 T of Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso dissolved in 1 t boiling water to add to 4 cups buttercream, plus or minus 2 to 4 T Kahlua.

I use Medaglia d'Oro instant regularly in place of coffee. I like that I can get a more concentrated flavor without adding a lot of liquid.

LBurt

Thanks!

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Very strong espresso.

twistandsnag

Dissolve 150 grams of instant coffee powder in 360 grams of water (that's 5 ounces in 12 ounces of water)