🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Jeni Britton Bauer's Ice Cream Base For Home Ice Cream Machines

Dab3b767 0769 4e0e 9b2b 8ee0bf197c89  jenibb salty caramel icecream

I have a question about the recipe "Jeni Britton Bauer's Ice Cream Base For Home Ice Cream Machines" from Jeni Britton Bauer. I just bought a Whynter SNO ice cream maker and made your chocolate and vanilla ice creams as a baseline for the new machine. I have made the chocolate before and it comes out deliciously creamy with little, if any, noticeable ice on the tongue. The batches made with the SNO, however, did have them and I am wondering if it is the machine or the fact that I doubled the recipe. The batch was not icy cold when I put it in the machine. It was cool. Could this be the problem? Or, is it the machine. I do know that the machine I had used previously rotated the bowl around the paddle and the Whynter SNO rotates the paddle.

asked by Elle Hyson about 5 years ago

19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

When making ice cream at home, I can not stress enough how important it is to let your base be completely chilled. I often let it chill over night in the refrigerator. Although, google seems to tell me that the ice cream maker you use has a self contained freezer.

I tried several ice cream base recipes before realizing that the custard ice cream base is the best. the only time I ever got any ice crystals in my ice cream is when I didn't go that route. So, my recommendation is to find a good custard base. The one I use is:

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
4-5 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar

Heat the milk and cream, whip the sugar into the egg yolks, temper the eggs with the hot cream, chill, freeze.

You can pretty much flavor that as you want to. steep a vanilla pod, puree some fruit, add chocolate, etc..

Uhhh...This is weird. I asked this question, not Elle Hyson. But, nevertheless, thanks so much fo ryour answer. I will make another batch and use the formula you supplied and see what happens. Once done, I will check in again here to report what happened! Many thanks!