Second Use of Marinade

If I've marinated the chicken for a chicken and veggie stir-fry, after I've cooked the chicken, can I safely use the leftover marinade to cook with the veggies in order to make a sauce for them.

aussiefoodie
aussiefoodie August 19, 2012

I think as long as you cook up the marinade it is OK, but don't use it over items you plan to serve raw.

HomeKuchen
HomeKuchen August 19, 2012

Thanks! That's just what I'm doing...hard boil for 2 minutes, then add back the chicken and stir fried veggies.

CHeeb
CHeeb August 19, 2012

Only if it comes back to a boil and cooks thoroughly ,HomeKuchen. There are chicken juices/bacteria which can be dangerous if not cooked throughout. I rarely reuse chicken or fish marinades unless I can be sure they are cooked to the degree you want the chicken and fish themselves.

ATL
ATL August 19, 2012

I completely agree with Chef Ono. I think reusing marinade that has been in contact with meet, chicken, or seafood is really risky even when cooked again. Better to do a fresh marinade--and you get a new flavor, too.

ATL
ATL August 19, 2012

Sorry! I meant CHeeb.

Voted the Best Reply!

Benny
Benny August 19, 2012

I make it a common practice to make a litte extra and reserve a portion of the marinade before pouring it on meat. That way I have a safe portion of marinade for basting or using on other things.