🔕 🔔

Culinary uses for bee pollen?

I have a jar of bee pollen that I bought at the market in Aix - why you ask? I don't know. Because it was in there with all of the nice organic honeys and such, and I just wanted to. So - apart from antioxidant super-food put it in your smoothie uses, anything cool cooking-wise that I can do with it??

Bee pollen is basically tasteless. You can sprinkle some on honey cake or cookies for a cool factor.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Theo Chocolate here in Seattle dusts it over their honey saffron caramels. It's superb. The bee pollen especially goes well with the saffron's flavor. I wonder how it'd be mixed into a saffron quinoa pilaf, maybe flavored with coriander and walnuts? Or as part of the nut topping to baklava? Or garnishing affogato, maybe made with pistachio ice cream? Dusted onto honeyed hazelnuts on a cheese plate?

Now I'm just dreaming...

It does have a nutty sweet flavor; it's just rather delicate. That's why it works best as a topping for something.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

It should be eaten raw, and it should be refrigerated. A tablespoon or so off a spoon is a treat -- and each flower source has its own color and flavor.

A couple of smoothie places I know add it (about a spoonful) to smoothies. It's supposed to boost immune function and give you energy!

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I would definitely consider it a garnish. I can see it against a backdrop of chocolate ganache. I might even sprinkle it over my morning granola, though. I've always wanted to buy bee pollen, but never have.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Thanks all! If I had time I could whirl it into some ice cream :-) I think I will try it in a saffron couscous, and some sort of chocolate tart deal ...

E97c7a54 c14e 4ebb 9f46 01e7bc28b7bc  fb avatar

HONEY IS NEVER ORGANIC ,THE BEES MAKE IT, IT DOES NOT GROW ON ITS OWN LIKE FRUITS AND VEGIES, ORGANIC (selling scheme) , bees puke gold we call honey YOU'RE WELCOME