Culinary uses for bee pollen?

I have a jar of bee pollen that I bought at the market in Aix - why you ask? I don't know. Because it was in there with all of the nice organic honeys and such, and I just wanted to. So - apart from antioxidant super-food put it in your smoothie uses, anything cool cooking-wise that I can do with it??

chef of the future 2000

Bee pollen is basically tasteless. You can sprinkle some on honey cake or cookies for a cool factor.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery August 21, 2012

Theo Chocolate here in Seattle dusts it over their honey saffron caramels. It's superb. The bee pollen especially goes well with the saffron's flavor. I wonder how it'd be mixed into a saffron quinoa pilaf, maybe flavored with coriander and walnuts? Or as part of the nut topping to baklava? Or garnishing affogato, maybe made with pistachio ice cream? Dusted onto honeyed hazelnuts on a cheese plate?

Now I'm just dreaming...

beyondcelery
beyondcelery August 21, 2012

It does have a nutty sweet flavor; it's just rather delicate. That's why it works best as a topping for something.

susan g August 21, 2012

It should be eaten raw, and it should be refrigerated. A tablespoon or so off a spoon is a treat -- and each flower source has its own color and flavor.

chilmarkgal
chilmarkgal August 21, 2012

A couple of smoothie places I know add it (about a spoonful) to smoothies. It's supposed to boost immune function and give you energy!

petitbleu
petitbleu August 23, 2012

I would definitely consider it a garnish. I can see it against a backdrop of chocolate ganache. I might even sprinkle it over my morning granola, though. I've always wanted to buy bee pollen, but never have.

aargersi August 23, 2012

Thanks all! If I had time I could whirl it into some ice cream :-) I think I will try it in a saffron couscous, and some sort of chocolate tart deal ...

Mario Magdaleno Varela
Mario Magdaleno Varela January 31, 2018

HONEY IS NEVER ORGANIC ,THE BEES MAKE IT, IT DOES NOT GROW ON ITS OWN LIKE FRUITS AND VEGIES, ORGANIC (selling scheme) , bees puke gold we call honey YOU'RE WELCOME