What can I do with a jar of honey-preserved nuts?

Hello everyone. I recently bought a jar of honey-preserved nuts (pistachios, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds). I think this would make a nice sweet condiment on a cheese plate. What cheeses would you recommend? I enjoy cheeses across the spectrum and would love some ideas. Thanks for your time.

asked by jennyanydots over 4 years ago

Judy at My Well Seasoned Life

Sounds like they'd be great with cheese but you could also stuff dates with them.

healthierkitchen

If you can find it, pecorino toscana. Pairs very well with honey. An aged cheddar would also be delicious.

bigpan

I have enjoyed honey packed nuts from Istanbul for years, but they are sweet. So serve with a strong cheese like a stilton, or something aged aged aged. If cheddar, look for minimum 3 years. Any bleu cheese would work fine. As for a pecarino, yes, it would be fine, but the pecarino has such a good taste by itself it would be sacrilege to pair it - in my humble opinion.

NakedBeet

You can thin it out and also serve it as a waffle/pancake topping.

jennyanydots

Thank you, everyone, for your ideas. I'm excited to try them. Happy New Year!

Parmagiano goes well with walnuts, pears, and honey, so I think it would be tasty with your honey-drenched nuts.

How about making a cheese ball for crackers/baguette. You could use any cheese you prefer.

jennyanydots

Yes, I was thinking of that, too. I think I may try mixing a small amount into plain yogurt for a simple breakfast, or mixing some into room-temperature cream cheese for my morning bagel. Thanks again for your wonderful ideas!