Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Non-toxic kitchen cleaner (other than vinegar)?

I use vinegar for as much of my kitchen cleaning as possible, but up until now have still used products with bleach for really tough jobs. The problem is, lately products with either bleach or ammonia in them have been giving me headaches. I can't seem to tolerate their toxicity, but I don't know of a non-toxic alternative for cleaning really tough to remove stuff on the stove or sink. Is my solution to get someone else to clean my kitchen, or are there products out there I don't know about?

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

This is a non-chemical solution that I been using for the past few years: microfiber cleaning towels. You just use water and it picks up direct, grease, whatnot. No cleaning solution needed. It's great for scrubbing. Sorry for sounding like an infomercial (I swear I'm just an ordinary financial analyst at an investment co.).

If you want a cleaning solution, we also like Simple Green (interesting scent, not quite sure how to describe) and Goo Gone (orange oil, gets sticky grease messes cleared up and it smells so nice).

sorry, that should be "dirt" , not direct.

I've been using a product by Shaklee for more tnan 30 years. These days it's called Get Clean. Used to be called Basic H. It's wonderful for many things, fragrance and color free, totally biodegradable. I use it for almost everything cleaning-wise in my house. You can see it on their web site, or message me. There's also a"scrubby" cleanser called Scour Off. Before I had a self-cleaning oven, I used it to clean the oven. Smells like bubble gum and cleans like a dream. I use it for sticky spots and burned on stuff on pans. The best.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Organic Consumers Association put out an article on which cleaning substances are safe and do the job - here is the link. http://www.organicconsumers...
Included in another article was background on toxic cleaning agents, and I do remember Simple Green was right on the top. I immediately stopped using it. Here is the link on what makes it toxic. http://www.sfgate.com/health...

I will look for the whole list of what to avoid and send it to you.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thank you, everyone, this is great information! And yes, SKK, I bought a Simple Green product recently and could immediately tell (based on the aforementioned headache) that it was just repackaged toxic chemicals. I am so glad to know that there are alternatives that work.

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

I recommend Method all-purpose spray surface cleaner. Within the past year or so Cook's Illustrated did a comparison test of many different cleaners, non-toxic and not, and Method's all purpose was the winner. They tested them on grease and other tough stuff. I use Method now and find it is just as effective as the more conventional cleaners I used to use.

I believe it's available in an unscented formula, though I'm not 100% certain. I love the pink grapefruit version, though -- lightly scented and it smells really clean and nice.

Dcca139f 78d5 41a3 b57b 6d6c96424a1c  img 7818

EPA's Design for the Environment Program has a labeling program to identify safer chemical products, including kitchen and countertop cleaners. If you want to find products with the DfE label, check out this site: http://www.epa.gov/dfe...

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I am alergic to chemicals (the smell is just killing me) and like to clean my countertop wit alcohol. Works wonderful.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Citric Acid (sour salt) is available in bulk some stores. It makes a very powerful cleaner with water..but be careful on proportions there..it can etch some things as it's acidic if you use it mixed really strong.

However a table spoon in an EMPTY dishwasher will clean it well and dissolve soap scum build up.

As a bonus: it makes a good homemade 'alkaseltzer' with a 1/2 tsp in water, and a tsp of baking soda, more or less..so it fizzes and tastes 'right'. Add a BC powder for headache mix.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Huh! Thanks for the additional tips!

Hi Kristen - here is the link I promised from Environmental Working Group which lists cleaning agents with grades from A - F. Very useful http://www.ewg.org/guides...

Kristen, This may be a better link - same info from Environmental Working Group
http://www.ewg.org/guides...

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Oh, cool -- thank you!