Which vinegar could I substitute? Or: How many vinegars does one kitchen need?

I have red wine, champagne, apple cider, white, balsamic, raspberry, and lemongrass vinegar. The recipe I'm in the middle of for an artichoke and fennel caponata calls for white wine vinegar.
If you were in my kitchen, would you substitute the champagne vinegar for the white wine or one of the others? I ain't nohow gonna go out and get yet another vinegar!
Thanks!

asked by drkate about 7 years ago

someonewhobakes

you could absolutely substitute the champagne vinegar! and i'm sure it would be even more tasty. i have a similarly crowded Oil and Vinegar Shelf myself

wssmom

Yes, champagne vinegar is a great substitute for white wine vinegar. In desperation, I have also used half white wine and half apple-cider vinegar to sub for the white wine vinegar in a recipe ....

drkate

Oh, I also have rice wine vinegar! Good heavens! Should I seek help? Am I a vinegar hoarder?

I have a big vinegar collection, too, but no white wine! It depends on what you're making--either the champagne or red wine would probably work. (Lemongrass vinegar sounds amazing......)

drkate

Thanks, everyone! The deed is done. I used 3/4 champagne and 1/4 lemongrass, since the recipe calls for lemon rind. The artichoke and fennel caponata is reducing as I type. Thanks for your help.

I've got a vinegar closet, too.

vvvanessa

when i moved recently, i had a facebook status update about the fact that i had 10 different vinegars to pack. i realized later that it was actually 11 because i keep a gallon of white distilled on hand for cleaning (and cooking) in a different place. there should be a food52 vinegar hoarders support group.

drkate

It is so nice to know I am not alone in what was--before today--an obsession I wasn't even aware I have! And a whole vinegar closet? I'm a piker.

More's the better!

food fetishist

One time on a date (first or second time cooking at his house), I got to a certain point and realized I'd left some ingredients home. I asked "What vinegars do you have?" It was telling.

Marceline

I used to be sure to get the exact vinegar the recipe calls for. But if like me you're not tasting vinegar every day, you'll have only used some tablespoonfuls before those vinegars go bad. So if I don't have it on hand and neglected to shop for it I'll just use whatever I think will taste good.