🔕 🔔

Bushels of new Mexican hatch chiles

Two bushels of New Mexican hatch chiles arrived today from a friend in Texas via FedEx. I've roasted them. They are steaming in big brown paper bags. : Peel before freezing? And, most favorite recipes?

asked by jacksonholefoodie over 5 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I'd peel before freezing. And here's a great recipe! http://www.food52.com/recipes...

07825364 abc5 42f5 bd7f f2a77f00dff0  20090907 jackson 8

Yes! I see many Devils on Hatchback all lined up like soldiers on movie nights this winter.

6d5dc803 4fbf 4016 aa85 b4bceed9b7a5  open uri20150107 10030 hyjvou

I am so jealous! I grew up in El Paso and love this time of year there with the huge roasters of green chile in the grocery store parking lots - best smell in the world! I always peel before freezing.

Yes Tish S, there is something wonderful about that smell. I just flame roasted some myself a couple of days ago. I love this time of year. The ones I bought have been really, consistantly hot. But you can't tell from looking at them which will be hot and which will be mild. The produce manager I work with told me that this batch would be hot but only the growers seem to know.

Central Market roasts them for us, so we buy them by the pound. I put them in plastic bags and freeze ---I've never peeled them first. I'm pretty lazy. Green chili stew is my favorite recipe...or Deborah Madison's green chili potato gratin. Both recipes are on epicurious.

5e9c0b8f c9a0 4744 abd2 1def5bbeaeca  1380644 562697560462865 988341931 n

I would not peel before freezing!

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

I also do not peel before freezing. Roasted chiles are very easy to peel once they have defrosted just a bit. There are a lot of excellent recipes for Hatch chiles on this site. I like to make this green chile with hatch chiles when I can source them(http://www.food52.com/recipes...) -- a recipe inspired by a dish my grandmother used to make. Aargersi's Salsa Asada is divine (http://www.food52.com/recipes...) -- perfect for the summer! I also love arielleclementine's Green Chile Country Gravy.

Thanks everyone, I am inspired. I roasted and peeled until midnight, but now I have an arsenal of ready-to-go hatches to get me through the winter. Salsa asada is first up on the agenda! And I do believe what Pierino says about the spiciness; my chiles vary tremendously on the Scoville scale, and the color does not give a clue to the heat. It's like playing hatch chile roulette.

31cf169d f83a 458c 9946 a9a0311207c3  cumberland pass atv trip july 20 2013 019

Love Hatch chiles, too! I like to peel them before freezing so all I need to do when ready to use is defrost them. One of our favorites ways to use them is to slice them, lay on a flour tortilla, top with shredded cheese, and microwave until melted.