🔕 🔔

Candying Lemon Peel and Some Turning Brown?

I am in the midst of candying both clementine and lemon peel. I am following Alice Medrich's recipe in her book, .
My lemon peel is now drying, after having come out of the hot syrup last night. I noticed in the last half of blanching it, that some of the lemon peels had brown splotches on them. Does anyone know- does this discoloration come from Oxygen, or being too close to the heat? or some other chemical reaction? TIA ! oh, the browned peel and un-browned peel seem to taste the same....

asked by LE BEC FIN over 2 years ago
6672289e 82fc 4411 99b5 dbf594fcca48  tag pic

sounds like the peel had gotten too hot
I have ran into this many times but only when doing large batches at once

I'd sure like to know the answer to this. I've had the same problem with candied orange peel, but assumed it was caused by a chemical reaction to the metal rack on which I've let the peels dry and cool. (I ended up using that peel in my panforti, where one would not notice the dark blotches!) ;o)

I had that problem as well at one point. I use a coated screen I bought at a local bakery/candy shop, after that I no long had that problem.I used wire grates at one point that caused the chemical reaction.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

o.k. i'm a bit confused. For me, the browning has occurred in the blanching and syrup procedures, and also on the metal racks during drying. same for you, jason?