caramel

how do I keep my caramel stretchy and chewy after it cools?

asked by brandon about 6 years ago

Elaine Ruth

If it is too hard you are cooking it too much. Come down a degree or two on the temperature.

minibakersupreme

Are you trying to make soft caramel candies, or more like a caramel dessert sauce? In other words, what's the application?

PhillipBrandon

I've successfully folded some water into warm caramel that had set up too hard upon cooling. It worked like a charm!

brandon

i want it stretchy like cramel candies, where it solid nut still pliable and gummy

PhillipBrandon

Ok, then try this:

1 cup of corn syrup
1 c cream
1/2 c milk
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/4 t salt
Combine In a saucepan with a candy thermometer over medium heat . Heat slowly to 240ºF. Remove from heat, and stir in about 3oz of water. (this is an approximation, I didn't measure closely)

I tried adding the water on a whim one day, finding myself in the same position as you, and it gave me a great soft, chewy caramel.