🔕 🔔

caramel

how do I keep my caramel stretchy and chewy after it cools?

asked by brandon about 5 years ago

If it is too hard you are cooking it too much. Come down a degree or two on the temperature.

8a2c197a eaf6 414d 8be8 e1212df9ad42  nasturtiums

Are you trying to make soft caramel candies, or more like a caramel dessert sauce? In other words, what's the application?

Ee6e1f61 c2e2 48b1 b500 bb90cc2c5b83  itsme

I've successfully folded some water into warm caramel that had set up too hard upon cooling. It worked like a charm!

i want it stretchy like cramel candies, where it solid nut still pliable and gummy

Ok, then try this:

1 cup of corn syrup
1 c cream
1/2 c milk
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/4 t salt
Combine In a saucepan with a candy thermometer over medium heat . Heat slowly to 240ºF. Remove from heat, and stir in about 3oz of water. (this is an approximation, I didn't measure closely)

I tried adding the water on a whim one day, finding myself in the same position as you, and it gave me a great soft, chewy caramel.