Quinoa Safety

I soaked Quinoa over night for a recipe on your site and then didn't have time to make it. It's been in the fridge for 38 hours in the water. Is it still good to cook?

• Posted by: LauriL
  • August 29, 2012

Voted the Best Reply!

pierino August 29, 2012

Odds are it's going to cook up as porridge. I'm not familiar with the recipe you are citing so I'm not clear on why a long soak is necessary. Personally I really dislike it when cooks totally hammer quinoa. I prefer small distinct grains with the germ visible.

darksideofthespoon
darksideofthespoon August 29, 2012

Sometimes I don't cook my quinoa, I just soak it until it's soft. I'd save it for 2 days maximum, but after about a day it's nice and tender.

LauriL
LauriL August 29, 2012

Thanks for your input! I was so afraid that I'd have to toss it (way too expensive to consider!!) Do you know why this is so?

PhillipBrandon
PhillipBrandon August 29, 2012

I don't think you'll have any problem with food safety, but I also don't think it will have been great for the texture of the end product.