🔕 🔔

Quinoa for breakfast

I don't usually have a problem cooking quinoa, but I have now tried twice to cook it in milk to eat as for breakfast and both times it has failed. The first time it just got burnt even as there was still liquid in the pot and this time it tasted undercooked (and not good) but had absorbed all the liquid. I used the same measurements/process I would using water or chicken broth to cook the quinoa.

asked by Alexa Linn Williams over 2 years ago

This is the best recipe for quinoa oatmeal I have ever used:
1) Add 1/4 C. quinoa, 1/4 C. steel cut oats, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt and ~1 1/2 cups water to small pot. Stir and bring to a boil
2) Turn off heat, put lid on and let sit overnight
3) Heat up in the morning (add small amount of water if necessary) and mix in a big spoonful of almond butter or peanut butter. Add banana or blueberries.
I always drink with a glass of milk. I think probably you are burning the quinoa in your method because of the milk. My recipe makes 1 1/2 to 2 servings, depending on how hungry you are. I find the steel cut oats mixed in makes the quinoa texture much better.
Stephanie McSwain

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Stephanie, saw this and made it for today's breakfast (with a little maple syrup thrown in). Who knew peanut butter and quinoa could be so good together? My new favorite - thanks for posting!

Do you soak the quinoa first? I have a recipe for a breakfast porridge with quinoa and an overnight soaking in water, which is then discarded, is the first step.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

FWIW, when I made it I did soak the quinoa and then changed the water BEFORE the overnight soak with the oats, just to be on the safe side. With the ratios in this recipe, there was nothing left to drain in the morning; the water was all absorbed. Don't know if that's what was intended in the original recipe but it seemed logical to me and worked great.

Glad you enjoyed the recipe! It's the only breakfast I can eat that doesn't leave me starving by 10:30 am. Regarding the quinoa, I have noticed most suppliers recommend rinsing the quinoa before use on a lot of the packages. At Sam's club I found a brand that was labeled "pre-washed". Since the rinsing step is a little annoying I have been using this brand - truRoots Organic. I'm not exactly sure why the need for rinsing is indicated on some packages.

Quinoa has a naturally-occuring coating of saponin that has a bitter taste. Rinsing gets rid of the saponin. After reading the Guardian's article about industrial food production and the substances that find their way into food, I will continue rinsing.

E5e93288 af48 4bff 986a 930179e2592d  10364021 10153338327901993 5023399563083854642 n

This recipe for Cherry Quinoa Porridge is foolproof. Simply add the quinoa and water with dried cherries and spices and let simmer for 15 minutes. http://www.healthline.com...