What's the secret to fluffy Quinoa?

I've made http://food52.com/recipes... and One Pot Quinoa with Kale (which I love) but my Quinoa is dense, not fluffy and light looking like the photos. So is there a secret to cooking it to make it light and fluffy?

asked by Susige over 5 years ago

Julie West @ The Simple Veganista

My best quinoa is made by using 1 cup quinoa to 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 water. The standard 2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa always come out to mushy for me. Anywhere in between the amount listed above, I always get perfect fluffy quinoa. Method: Add the water and quinoa to a medium pan, bring to boil, cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Once done, remove from heat, uncover and let set for another 15 minutes to absorb all the water. Fluff with fork and serve as you like. Perfect quinoa!

When you let the cooked quinoa stand, per instructions above, I let it sit for 15 minutes with a towel covering the quinoa, covered by a lid. The towel absorbs the moisture and your quinoa stays warm. And cook until the quinoa shows its threads. 15 minutes is too long for me for cooking, because the quinoa turns mushy.

Susige

Thank you Julie and SKK. I think I'm adding too much water (2 cups) and letting it cook too long. I'll try again following your suggestions.

MaddyBelle

Try leaving the lid off while cooking the quinoa and stir the pot. I used a box of quinoa that gave its cooking instructions this way and thought my quinoa came out more fluffy than usual!

PMarie

Try cooking ass you would long-grain rice, in the smallest possible heavy-bottom pan, with minimum water, i.e., 1.5 x water by volume as grain by volume. Let it boil, turn to low and allow small "pinholes" to pock the surface; cover with tightly-fitting lid and steam on low about 10 minutes. Let set 10 minutes covered; fluff with fork.

Bevi

Saute the quinoa in a little oil until you smell a nutty aroma - maybe 2 to 3 minutes. Then proceed with using less water than normal, and follow suggestions above.

Speaking only for myself of course, I don't think "fluffy" quinoa is a desirable thing anymore than "fluffy" rice would be. Quinoa should be soft but still a bit toothsome. Some of my neighbors just hammer it to death where it just becomes mush. Yes, you should see that little spiral germ in there. It's done. It should be just a bit beyond al dente.

healthierkitchen

I agree with Pierino! Love it just a little underdone. As soon as the spiral shows itself, really. And the flavor is really great when you toast it a little per Bevi.

CarlaCooks

I just noticed that you are now a trusted source on 'Tough Love.' Haha, I love it!

Yeah, pierino made Gordon Ramsay cry.

I am still using he 2:1 ration of water to quinoa, but I've improved the outcome by putting a towel over the finished quinoa, heat turned off and lid on -- as SSK describes.

Susige

I shall try again this weekend and expect better results. Since I've only eaten the Quinoa that I've made, it didn't dawn on me until I saw some beautiful photos of cooked Quinoa that looked nothing like mine that I was doing something wrong. So thank you everyone for helping me out with your suggestions! I think I was adding too much water and cooking it too long - it was mushy and dense.

Julie West @ The Simple Veganista

Hope you get your perfect quinoa on your next try! I have no doubt that with all these suggestions you will hit your mark. I LOVE Bevi's idea of toasting the quinoa a bit before adding the water. It's a great idea and I will try that next time.

thefood

using my zojirushi rice cooker is my secret! fluffy every time, using the quinoa package directions!

Daria Faulkner

I think soaking also makes different. Try to soak it for at least 30 minutes

If a picture is worth many words, check here -- http://www.thekitchn.com...