🔕 🔔

How long is overnight? 8 hours?

I'm looking at a biscuit recipe that says I have to chill the dough overnight--I guess, assuming that the biscuit is for breakfast. What if I want to have it in the evening?

asked by wietje about 5 years ago

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Eight hours should be fine.

Cookbookchick: Thank you.

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

I think of "overnight" as being at least 7 hours, and up to 12.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

From the time you put it in the fridge until the next day.

Thank you all. In sum: it does not have to be "overnight" really--just 7 to 12 hours, e.g., from 7 am to 7 pm or vice versa. Makes sense to me.

A lot of recipes say overnight for bread because they want the gluten to relax. Allow an joe in the fridge , proof and bake as you otherwise would.

19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

It can depend on the recipe. What you should do (now and in the future), is determine why it is sitting in the fridge in the first place. In the case of biscuits, you want the butter to be cold and hard so that it doesn't mix into the rest of the dough. That way, the butter steams up and assists the baking powder in leavening. It helps create a layered, flaky biscuit. Honestly, I would tell you that you would be fine with 2-4 hours in this case.

Other recipes may require longer rest periods, like in the case of some yeast bread doughs as mentioned above. Other things just get better the longer they hang out in the refrigeration and, again, the choice is up to you. The best thing is to know WHY it needs to sit in the fridge and you can determine exactly how important the amount of time is.