🔕 🔔

can I use two day old leftover plain rice which had been chilled immedietley and put in airtight containers in the fridge

asked by @mariodc over 5 years ago

Yes! Make some fried rice!

Patti in Mississippi

Sure! I would use it for several days.

If you make a salad with vinaigrette dressing, you can extend the keeping time.

ChefOno

Bacillus cereus, similar to Clostridium botulinum, is commonly found in rice and other grains, beans, and other dry foods. Spores can survive the cooking process and replicate in warm, moist environments producing deadly toxins in the process. Prompt refrigeration will keep the bacteria under control but, since it only retards their growth, leftovers should be consumed within a few days.

I have a theory that B. cereus is responsible for at least some of the symptoms for which people blame MSG. Back in the 70's, before our current knowledge of the bacterium evolved, Chinese restaurants commonly left unused rice unrefrigerated overnight before turning it into fried rice the next day.

I often make rice to use a couple of days later for fried rice. To cool it down quickly, I sometimes put it in the fridge spread in a thin layer on a baking sheet with sides - then pile it into an airtight container once it's cold.

cec75

Yes