🔕 🔔

Can I safely freeze turkey stock I made 6 days ago?

I simmered it all night, cooled it immediately in two small containers, and didn't end up needing all of it. May I still divide it into even smaller containers and freeze it safely?

asked by Michael Barnard almost 5 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Six days is past the recommended (refrigerator) storage time. The USDA recommends that you discard it. If it were me, however, I'd bring the stock to a boil for 10 minutes then cool in an ice bath before freezing. There are those who will argue against doing so and I think that's fine tack, too. It's hard to go wrong following USDA recommendations.

Here is what Harold McGee has to say about the situation:

http://www.nytimes.com...