milk vs. almond milk

I am lactose intolerant. Can I use almond mild to replace milk in any recipe to obtain the same results?

• Posted by: jwaterm1
  • September 10, 2012

Moglin
Moglin September 10, 2012

Looks like you can, just make sure it's a regular kind, not the vanilla one. I made this mistake a few times :-). Otherwise it work perfectly fine for us

a Whole Foods Market Customer

In most things, yes. You can't use it to make cheese, though. (No ricotta or paneer from almond milk...)

hkellyis
hkellyis September 11, 2012

It depending on the recipe but for most things it's ok. Did you have a specific recipe in mind? I've used soy or coconut milk in most of my baking or even pancakes or some savory dishes.

jwaterm1
jwaterm1 September 11, 2012

Is there a way to use almond milk to replace evaporated milk or condensed milk in recipes too? Oh, how I miss key lime pie!

linzarella
linzarella September 11, 2012

@jwaterm1 - coconut milk is a great substitute for those things in pie, since it's so thick. the flavor is different, but I think it often works really well.