Dairy-free Pumpkin Pie

Can I use almond milk? Will it be rich enough? I don't want to add any "off" flavors.

asked almost 7 years ago

I am trying this recipe because it is both DF and GF (and I will put back the egg): http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/10/and-answer-is.html. Otherwise, use a non-dairy sub that comes close to the specified dairy in your recipe -- there are non-artificial non-dairy cream subs that are DF, P, V -- you don't want to forgo the richness.

I'm pretty sure Syronai has a great vegan pumpkin pie recipe. Send her a message, and I'm sure she'd be glad to share it.

beyondcelery

Or I simply spend too much time trolling questions and I'll see it. =) (thanks, HLA!)

@creamtea Here's my vegan pumpkin pie:
http://beyondcelery.blogspot.com/2010/11/breakfast-can-it-be-done-without-eggs.html

Coconut milk is totally your friend with this. It lends a slight coconut flavor, but it only enhances the flavors of the pumpkin. They go really well together. Use a higher-fat variety of coconut milk if at all possible. Chaokoh is my favorite. If you don't mind eggs, go ahead and make your normal pumpkin pie recipe and just sub the coconut milk for evaporated milk. Use closer to 8oz coconut milk, instead of the 12oz evaporated milk and it'll set up better. You can also add 1-2tsp cornstarch to ensure a perfect set, though that isn't usually necessary if you reduce the amount of liquid. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about this!

Collective thanks, everyone.