🔕 🔔

Freezing preserved lemons?

The San Francisco Chronicle ran an article this week featuring recipes from the Moroccan chef Mourad Lahlou. In a recipe for preserved lemons, it says to freeze the lemons before salting them. I've never seen this in a preserved lemon recipe before. Anyone know the reason?
http://www.sfgate.com/recipes...

asked by linzarella about 5 years ago

I don't know for sure, but freezing tends to break down the cell structure of plants (think about how firm cooked carrots and raw onions get really mushy when frozen), so my bet is that by softening the lemons this way, it allows more flavor to penetrate the peel. Just guessing, though. I like to use bay, coriander, cloves, cinnamon -- not all at the same time, of course -- so I'm going to experiment with this when I make my next batch!! ;o)