What kind of olive oil do you buy?

Thanks to this hotline, I realized why my marinade was so horrible--rancid olive oil purchased from a Greek import store a week or so ago. I am not going there again. I use a LOT of olive oil. Where do you buy good quality stuff?

cookbookchick
cookbookchick September 21, 2012

I've heard Trader Joe's has good olive oil. I buy mine from a reliable Italian grocer with a lot of turnover. But there should be a sell-by date on the container you purchased.

rldougherty
rldougherty September 21, 2012

There was a sell date of November 2012, but it is very clearly bad. Metallic tasting with a dull aroma.

Reiney
Reiney September 21, 2012

I'd take it back to the store - it may be just generally bad, or you may have just gotten a bad one that was stored improperly. Also make sure the oil is in a metallic tin or very dark glass because it's light and heat sensitive

Rtrblade
Rtrblade September 21, 2012

Apollo, simply the best. www.apollooliveoil.com

susanm
susanm September 21, 2012

personally i don't care for greek olive oil. i always go italian. i have found the brand LUCINI in both specialty markets and the regular grocery store. it is my "everyday oil". for something special, source a local italian market...mine has an amazing selection. in case you live in chicago, it's BARI FOODS on grand.

drbabs September 21, 2012

Here's a discussion on this topic from a few months ago. Maybe it will help.
http://www.food52.com/hotline...

dymnyno
dymnyno September 22, 2012

And, if you go to COOC.com (California Olive Oil Council) there is a lot of information and a list of all the producers who have earned their seal. (we are not listed because we did not produce an oil for 2012)

ChefJune September 21, 2012

For cooking, I buy Whole Foods' imported Italian extra virgin in the 3-liter can. I fill a pourable decanter that I keep near the stove, and the remainder is stored in my pantry closet. We probably go through 3 of those cans a year.

For salads, dribbling and other uncooked uses, I have smaller containers of Provencal, regional Italian and also Spanish extra virgins. and a small bottle of McEvoy from Petaluma, CA. They are all different in flavor and do unique things to my dishes. I buy them in small quantities from specialty stores, or Williams-Sonoma that I know have a high turnover rate.

mbergner
mbergner September 21, 2012

Whole Foods has any type you could need. I do not trust specialty shop products, their turnover is too slow.

dymnyno
dymnyno September 21, 2012

I only use California olive oil. Olive oil does not age. It is important to buy oil that has bee stored in a cool dark place.

Reiney
Reiney September 21, 2012

Olive oil does go bad once oxidized or exposed to heat. This doesn't mean you should chuck away a bottle if it's past the expiration date - it's fine to use if it doesn't smell rancid (and you know when it does).

rldougherty
rldougherty September 21, 2012

The more I read, the more I feel like California olive oils are the way to go!

dymnyno
dymnyno September 21, 2012

Yes, and after last years very lean crop we are having a bonanza crop this year. It looks really good!

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 21, 2012

I've seen California Ranch brand EVOO at TJ Maxx. Anyone else?

Kristen W.
Kristen W. September 21, 2012

Put me down for California Olive Ranch.

Sam1148 September 21, 2012

For bulk daily use. CostCo Kirkland brand is good, and Whole Foods 365 brand is good and a good buy.

pierino September 21, 2012

I'm totally on the side of California olive oils, in fact I just interviewed a small producer http://eggsinpurgatory.blogspot.com/2012/09/terroir.html Labeling on imported olive oils can be misleading. For example a bottle which reads "Product of Italy" could well contain olives from N. Africa or Turkey. Personally, and just my own taste and opinion, I find the olive oils at Trader Joe's to be seriously inferior but then you get what you pay for. California Olive Ranch is large producer and their oils are not terribly expensive and consistant from year to year. Very good stuff.

ChefOno
ChefOno September 22, 2012

That's marketing for you. Front label: "Trader Joe's Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil Imported from Italy and packed in USA." Right side label: "Product of USA" Left side label: "Contains Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Italy, Spain, Argentina and Greece."
pierino September 22, 2012

Indeed ChefOno, in 2010 the USDA began requiring that if a bottle contains oil from different countries all must be listed on the label.

ChefOno
ChefOno September 22, 2012

What I don't understand is how it's, in any way, a "Product of the USA".

pierino September 23, 2012

ChefOno according to USDA rules the "product of..." appelation goes to wherever the oil was actually bottled. Probably because it's being blended for flavor and acidity. It's possible to buy imported Italian oils (product of Italy) that contain no Italian olives.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen September 22, 2012

Trader Joe's has a Spanish blend olive oil that isn't bad for everyday and also Zoe brand Spanish oil is good. Whole Foods house brand is also fine. For special use, I really like a California oil that I found by tasting many: Robbins Family Farm Ascolano.

dymnyno
dymnyno September 22, 2012

If you go to COOC.com (California Olive Oil Council) there is a lot of info about olive oil and a list of the producers who have earned their seal. (We are not listed for 2012 because we did not produce an oil this year)

nutcakes
nutcakes September 22, 2012

Be aware that Trader Joes has several house brands of Olive Oil. the one I am holding in my hand now is Trader Giotto's 100%Italian President's Reserve EVOO Cold Pressed; the olives are grown in Puglia and Calabria. This was 5.99, .50 cents over another line, maybe yours.

Consumer Reports recently did an article on EVOO and it only gave highest marks (Excellent) to McEvoy and Trader Joe's California Estate (not sure of cost, but I did see one called Premium at 7.99.) Their experts tested 23 oils and only found 9 free of flaws (stale, fermented, barnyard.)

Rated Very Good were Kirkland Signature Select Toscano, Whole Foods 365 Everyday 100% California unfiltered (both Best Buys), California Olive Ranch, O-Live & Company, B.R. Cohn, and Lucini Premium.

I have the tasting comments if anyone wants them on one or two of the oils.

nutcakes
nutcakes September 22, 2012

Also, the oil I purchased recently from Trader Joe's is dated 12/13, so yours dated 11/12 has been hanging around a long time and perhaps exposed to light.

QueenSashy September 22, 2012

I like Sicilian Selezione from Trader Joe's

davidpdx
davidpdx September 23, 2012

Frantoia (our favorite), Ranieri, Lucini: Never had a bad one.

Quinciferous
Quinciferous September 23, 2012

I will miss living in Philadelphia: we buy a very nice olive oil from Claudio's on 9th St that they import themselves -- their "house" olive oil. It's very well-priced for a buttery oil that's also a little spicy and fruity. A great everyday olive oil that I will miss sorely when I move.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick September 29, 2012

This post, on the blog of cookbook author Domenica Marchetti, is helpful:
http://www.domenicacooks.com/2012/09/qa-with-olio2gos-luanne-savino-oloughlin-and-a-book-signing-in-fairfax/#more-5901

em-i-lis
em-i-lis September 29, 2012

I like Zoe for dipping and dressings, and the cold-pressed unfiltered EVOO from whole foods is what I use for cooking.

Linn
Linn September 29, 2012

For salads and dippings I mail order from California Olive Ranch once a year after each fall harvest and get a couple of difference varieties. So far I have tried Limited Reserve, Arbequina, Miller's Blend. For cooking and everyday use, I get a California olive oil in 1.5 liters from Whole Foods. I am cautious with imported European oils. I am sure there are good ones out there, but I do not feel I am knowledgeable to know the difference.