Cooking Fresh Albacore Tuna

I need help with preparing fresh albacore tuna. I bought a whole one and have many steaks. The first time I cooked it, I pan fried it, and it was very dry and tasteless. Any ideas?

asked by SallyM almost 6 years ago

Kevin Fitchard

Tuna cooks very quickly. Your best bet would be to cook it rare or mid-rare. Very hot pan or grill, pan sear on both sides briefly. It should preserve both the flavor and the moisture.

Also if it's not already cut into separate steaks you could braise a 2 lb. chunk. Slow cooking at low heat in wine would keep it moist while cooking it through.

Try Vietnamese Braised Fish (Ca Kho To) using the tuna steaks, http://wanderingchopsticks...

You don't need a claypot. My mother use to make this in a regular medium sauce pan. This is a dish that tastes even better the next day, because the fish soaks up the braising liquid.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Super, super hot pan & oil
Well seasoned exterior with your choice of seasoning
Steak in - 6 to 12 seconds a side - and out.

At this point you can either chill it down and serve it cold, for example sliced in a salad, or serve it straight away. Pop it in the fridge to stop the cooking process if you're planning on the former.

I like to grill over real wood charcoal but for something more daring you can "poach" it in olive oil. Keep the flame fairly low as you don't want to set the kitchen on fire.