STIR FRY IS DRY !

i have a fav recipe. stir fried chicken, fresh spinach, walnuts and lemon zest. i need some sauce for it. it seems very dry. i've used soy obviously...but, it's not enough

asked by SAM almost 5 years ago

what about adding a teaspoon of sesame oil & water?

SAM
SAM

good idea !

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

SAM - sexyLAMBCHOPx has a great idea. I was thinking maybe some chicken or veggie broth if you have it. Good luck to you!

SAM
SAM

i guess i was looking for a sauce to use..something thicker

Boopie

The above answers are excellent. To have a thickened sauce, take 1 cup of the chicken stock, a bit of sesame oil, and shake with 2 tsp of cornstarch. Pour in sauce pan, heat and stir until thickened. Pour into your stir fry, voila!

lloreen

To the above mentioned sauce thickened with corn starch you could add a dash of siracha for heat and a tablespoon of hoisin or oyster sauce for complexity.

perhaps use the "velveting" technique for the protein which will keep the meat moost and assist with thicker sauce.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

You can also simmer the stock with some thinly sliced ginger and a little bit of star anise before you add it to the stir fry sauce for a more complex flavor.