Dear @Food52Hotline: A recipe for cupcakes requires buttermilk. What can I substitute it with? Maybe an easy shortcut to make it? Thanks!

asked by @KioshStar almost 6 years ago

Add one tablespoon of lemon juice to a liquid measuring cup. Then, add milk until the amount reaches one cup. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes. The milk should look curdled. Stir and you have homemade buttermilk or measure 1 3/4 tablespoon cream of tartar plus 1 cup milk. Whisk to combine and let stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes, until curdled and then stir.

I do the same, SKK, but I'm too type A to wait, so move it along faster by microwaving it for 30 seconds.

lbs70

I would substitute with plain non fat yogurt.... It works! Pour a slash of milk in you need more liquid.