🔕 🔔

onion jam

While recently in Tallin, Estonia, I bought a jar of "onion jam". It is thick, almost black, sweet...and delicious ! (works very nice on a cracker with cream cheese). If anyone knows of a recipe for this thick dark Estonian onion jam, I would love to hear it. I am getting to the bottom of the jar.

asked by bigpan almost 5 years ago

I would suggest slowly and patiently caramelizing a good amount of onions, then adding a reduced balsamic glaze. That's how we prepare it.

I actuall just made onion jam as a compliment for grilled pork chops. Very easy:

2 onions sliced
6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
3 Tbs balsamic
1 Tbs sugar
pinch crushed red pepper
2 Tbs olive oil
salt to taste

Add olive oil to skillet on med-high. Add onions and garlic, stir. Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat to med-low. Simmer for 30 - 45 minutes. You can cover to prevent too much evaporation or you can add a couple of tablespoons of water every once in awhile. Cook until you reach desired consistency.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

There are a bunch of recipes here; perhaps you can tinker with one to get close to what you're looking for: http://www.punkdomestics...