Roasted onion and garlic jam

I adore Stonewood Kitchen's roasted onion and garlic jam, a delicious mix of sweet and savory. I'd like to make my own variation for holiday gifts --perhaps someone makes something similar and would be wiling to share their recipe?

asked by jwlucas over 7 years ago

Hummusit

I'm not familiar with the brand, so I'm not sure precisely what your looking for, but I've made onion jam by just sautéing onions on low heat in a closed pot for about 2 hours. The possibilities are varied; you can use red or white onions, you can add whole cloves of garlic, you can add white or brown sugar, brandy, wine, or calvados, sauté in butter or most oils, coarsely ground pepper, balsamic vinegar. The important thing is to keep the pot closed so that the onions don't dry out. Usually for a medium jar, you need approx. 1 kg of onions.

I make this--it is also both sweet and savory-- but I've never tried to can it and have no idea if that can be dome safely:

I also make Onion Jam, bit I don't can it. However, seems to me there'd be no problem doing that by following basic canning rules for any jam. I've never really used a recipe for it -- just wing it.

FWIW, I think OP means "Stonewall" Kitchens.

I'm looking athe half used bottle of Roasted Garlic Onion Jam by Stonewall Kitchen now. Based on ther ingredients, try carmelizing some onions (yellow) and garlic with pure cane sugar, jam it up with fruit pectin, and spices and white vinegar.

Apologies, all, for the inappropriate commenter. We're taking care of it.