Any good recommendations for a veggie side to go with an Italian meal

asked by Slivy over 5 years ago

What's your Italian main course?

Slivy

Most likely chicken parm and/or lasagna

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Sounds simple, but I'd go for simply a salad of arugula and parm, tossed in a red wine vinaigrette. I think the lightness, freshness, and pepperiness of the salad is a perfect compliment to the richness of those main dishes. alternately, a romaine salad would be nice too, for added crunchiness.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I agree with broccoli rabe. If that's too bitter for you (it is for me), sauteed spinach with garlic finished with either a splash of cider vinegar or balsamic. Roasted brussels sprouts. Roasted broccoli or cauliflower dusted with parmesan.

ATG117

I'd also go with a green salad or one of the great green bean recipes on the site. I'd definitely aim for something light as a counterpoint to either of those mains.

ATG117

caesar salad

Slivy

Thank you for all the recs. I'll be doing a caesar salad and some green beans!!

ryanm

Even easier than caesar, and slightly more unique, is an escarole salad with lemon dressing, pecorino romano and marcona almonds. I had this at Otto in NYC and have been making it ever since.