🔕 🔔

best mortar and pestle

I've read that the deep Thai mortars are best. Any sources?

asked by goodsensehealth almost 5 years ago

84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

Any sturdy, deep, big, stone mortar and pestle is a great choice! There are dozens of cultures that use them; the styles may differ slightly, but the important thing is the quality of the material and the size that you want.

2c8043e3 d82a 4710 b88e aca9cbe66271  justsomecook

Most any that look sturdy and are heavy for their size is good. I prefer to use a molcajete as a mortar and pestle as it will season over time and make your food taste better and better.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

If you have a Chinatown near you, go there. It'll be significantly cheaper (and most likely better) than anything that Williams-Sonoma or the like has for you.

And pay attention to the graininess of the mortar/pestle - some of the marble ones are so smooth that the spices just move around without being crushed. The act of using a mortar and pestle involves both pounding and crushing but a slightly roughed or grooved surface helps get that going. (Note this is only slightly - it's not going to feel like sandpaper but you don't want it super-smooth).

Make sure it's big enough, the tiny ones are basically useless.

I'd have a look at something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Stone...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

That's the same type I have. Cheap..about 15 bucks at the local Asian store. I'd bet shipping for that heavy thing is wild tho.

I also used it to pound chicken breasts flat sometimes. Between wax paper and using the bottom of it as the impact point..but the bottom bit is a rough and textured so it's not all that great for that but works and will tear the paper. I have a proper 'pounder' now.

I would LOVE to have a molcajete. That's what I'd recommend. Get the biggest one you can fir on your counter and let it live there.

I inherited a big brass one from my great aunt. It's very deep and has a powerful pestle, so it works really well, but if I were buying, it would surely be a molcajete.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Here's a link to the last time the Hotline discussed this ever-interesting topic:
http://www.food52.com/hotline...