What is the best brand of fish sauce (Thai or Vietnamese), other than "Thai Kitchen" (which is full of ingredients not found in the real stuff)? Or, better yet, how do you make your own?

Merrill Stubbs September 8, 2010

Golden Boy and Squid are two that consistently get high marks. Not sure I'd elect to make it at home, but will keep an eye out for sources!

pierino September 8, 2010

Three Crabs is what I buy at the Chinese market. But if you like fish sauce you might like the Italian version which goes back to early roman days, also made from fermented anchovies. I'm traveling at the moment so I don't have the lable in front of me. But the original Roman condiment was "garum" and this is related. But like bottarga, a little goes a lonnnngggg way!

TiggyBee
TiggyBee September 8, 2010

I have used Garum Colatura before. It's about $16.00 a bottle. Zingermans.com is where I found mine.

AntoniaJames September 8, 2010

Pierino, good call. I've heard it said that the Roman armies could not have conquered Europe without garum, which was a critical component of their daily diet. Thanks, Merrill for the two suggestions. I've been using one (Vietnamese) recommended by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duiguid in one of their early books, but I'd like to try some others, for comparison. ;o)