🔕 🔔

Does anyone know about the shelf-life of ghee? I'm curious about how long I can keep an opened jar.

asked by maryvelasquez about 7 years ago

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

It lasts for a long time in the fridge, exactly how long, couldn't say, but even if stored outside of fridge, it'll last if in an airtight container.

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

In the fridge for quite some time - like a year or so - provided you have only used a super-clean spoon to dip in a out of the jar. if you see any fuzzy bits around the edges I'd toss it. if it's been in a cabinet, it may have gone rancid - so you'd have to taste/smell to be sure.

I've kept a jar in the fridge for about 9 months and didn't suffer any ill effects toward the end of its useful life.

6d812419 52db 4fe8 983a 4431d769882e  rattlesnake ridge me glenn 08.28.10 001

Ghee is clarified butter, meaning the removal of all milkfat. This means it has the shelf life of olive oil, about 1+ years, no need to refrigerate.

This question has come up here before and per the previous answers, the purpose of clarifying it is to make it last longer. But also it doesn't brown as fast as regular butter.