Shelf life of opened jar of anchovies

I know there have been a couple of questions about this already but they tend to turn into comparisons of how to store anchovies in the refrigerator and that's not really what I'm looking for. I had a jar of anchovies I'd opened about 2 months ago. Following advice I'd heard elsewhere, I stored them in the cupboard at room temperature. So now, two months later, can I use them to cook? If the answer is no, is that because I'll get sick, or just because they won't taste as good as they used to? Thanks!!

asked by jmlehrfeld almost 5 years ago

bigpan

I assume the jar is from Italy - which is good. I store in the fridge after opening making sure to push down the anchovies into the oil. (Or, add some oil to top up if needed). I have had no problem after 6 months. As long as the anchovies are fully covered with oil I don't think you will have a problem with the couple months on the shelf. IF you are concerned - toss them and buy some new ones - the price is not that bad to break your bank account.

Recovering with oil is a good suggestion. And yes, definitely refrigerate.

jmlehrfeld

Thanks for the advice. I ended up tossing the brussels sprouts -- what a shame! I will just have to eat anchovies faster now!

These pas answers from the hotline may be helpful: http://food52.com/hotline...