🔕 🔔

how to reheat frozen homemade empanadas

these are delicious homemade empanadas that have been baked and then frozen, i would like to reheat them and try to keep the crust flaky and the filling warm. any suggestions

asked by alienor about 5 years ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

I would try 350 until they look toasty and the middles are warmed through. (This will probably take a bit if you put them in when they're still frozen. If you have time, you might let them defrost at room temperature for a while before they go in the oven to help prevent sogginess.)

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

When I reheat frozen burritos ( or even cold pizza) I dampen the surface of the dough with wet fingers to keep it from drying out/hardening. I would wrap empanadas in foil for the first 30 minutes if heating in the oven straight from the freezer then unwrap for the last duration, which depending on size might be another 15-30 minutes. Or you could probably reduce that time by starting them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, flip then cook another 1-2 minutes, then finish in a 350 F oven for 10 or 20 minutes. Again time depends on size and thickness; cut one in half to see if the center is hot.