Spring, meet grill pan—on sale for $99! Shop now »
🔕 🔔

Baking a frozen pie, and adding a decorative (non frozen crust border)

I am baking a store bought frozen pie, but I want to dress it up a bit. So I got a leaf shaped cookie cutter to cut out leaves in a pie crust (non frozen) , and then add it around the frozen pie which has a bake time of 60 minutes. My question is at what point should I add on the decorative crust so that it doesn't burn?

asked by lisaloowho 4 months ago
Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Here are some tips from Marie Callender's for adding decorations to frozen pies: https://www.facebook.com...

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Whenever I've added leaf cutouts (or whatever shape you want) to the top of a pumpkin pie, I cheat on the timing by baking the cutouts separately like a little batch of cookies. Then I put them on top of the pie when the pie is done or almost done. No guesswork needed, and it looks great.