🔕 🔔

Will my scalloped potatoes turn out ok?

I have this recipe in the oven:
http://food52.com/recipes...

But I neglected to read the tip, and simply subbed 1 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup half and half for the cream, without making a bechamel. Is is going to be super liquidy, and if so, is there anything I can do about it now?

Thanks!

asked by Fresa over 2 years ago

There is no scalloped potato dish that most people wouldn't love. I think you will be fine. The original version doesn't call for the butter or flour from the bechamel tip anyway. It does partly depend on the type of potatoes you use: the recommended Yukon Gold are good for soaking up liquid. After taking from the oven, just be sure to let it sit to let liquid re-absorb. If it seems too liquidy to you, just tip the baking dish at one corner and let some run off. Serve with a slotted spoon. I'm sure it will be delicious!

You're right - it turned out fine, just a little soupy, but most of the liquid did get absorbed.

whiteonricecouple here http://whiteonricecouple...
has a marvelous way to do potatoes where you keep pushing the potatoes down with a wooden spoon in the liquid with no flour added and they are scrumptious. i have made them annually for holiday dinners and the leftovers are really good too.

That looks amazing! Thanks