🔕 🔔

Can you save half an onion?

Didn't need the whole thing, but not sure how save the remaining half. And if it can be saved, for how long?

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 4 years ago

8b52d480 67e7 4fb5 a5be c90c746c2e86  chef hat with ladel

Just as an addition to the tip of davidpx, leave the outer peels on. It helps against possible dehydration. And don't touch the moist part you cut off with your hands. Not of significant importance, but it will increase the life span even more, as it doesn't have any germs on.

4a133dad 72d1 43e3 84bb a8b5e6921f22  jesse avatar

When you are ready to use it, take a thin slice of exposed edges that look a little dried out, underneath it will probably be fine.

You could also grate it on a box grater and freeze it.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

And if you forget about the half onion and it dries out or you just don't want to use it for cooking, I keep a "stock bag" in my freezer. It contains bones from meat and vegetable odds and ends. When I fill up the bag, I make stock.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thank you all - what a great bunch of ideas!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I save partial onions all the time, simply wrapped well in plastic wrap in the fridge. As mentioned, if the outer cut edge gets dry, just trim it. Try to use it up within a few days so it has all its flavor - onion is so widely used in endless preparations, figuring out how is easy.

I would just chop it or dice it and save it in an airtight container. I often do that on purpose over the weekend to use during the week. It is a great time saver and avoids oniony hands during the week.

I mean store in the fridge.