Does it need to be tossed out? It's been about 24 hours without refrigeration. Thanks.
June is a trusted source on General Cooking.
I don't think so. Jams are loaded with sugars and can take quite a bit of abuse. I'd refrigerate it now, though.
The high concentration of sugar will keep bacteria at bay. The moisture content will support mold however. Stick it back in the refrigerator and keep your eye on it. Toss it if anything starts growing, otherwise no harm done.
I lived in England for 35 years and no-one I know keeps their jam in the fridge there. Occasionally my father scrapes a moldy bit off (if the jam is VERY old) and keep on using the jar. He is 82 and still going strong although I don't recommend his strategy myself!!
The problem is some molds produce toxins that can penetrate deep into moist food. Refrigeration slows the growth of mold. 2+2 = ?
Please enter a valid email address.
Well played. You deserve a cookie.
A cocktail-inspired salad to repurpose all week long
1 Steak Salad, Countless Meals
Genius No-Churn Ice Cream
Salade Niçoise, Sans Recipe
Close Out Summer Grilling with a Bang
Far from Vanilla
prevented successful signup:
We'll never post anything without your permission.
prevented successful login:
Thanks for signing up!
Connect with us to get more Food52!
Sign up for our useful, inspired emails and we'll
give you everything you need to eat and live better—including
recipes, how-tos, and exclusives and great gift ideas from our
kitchen and home shop.