salvaging dry leftover rotisserie chicken

I was in a pinch a couple of nights ago and bought a rotisserie chicken at the market for a quick dinner, and the chicken turned out to be very dry and tasteless. I now have 1/2 a chicken sitting in my fridge, and although I have plenty of ideas for creating a meal out of the leftovers, I am wondering if there are ways I can impart some additional moistness into the meat as I repurpose it, since it's already overcooked. I'd love to hear some thoughts and ideas on this.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

asked about 6 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

The wettest chicken preparation of them all: soups. Chicken and dumplings is a classic, or try any number of long-simmered soups or stews to help get some extra moistness.

Here's some inspiration: http://food52.com/recipe.... Best of luck!

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

You can also shred the meat for a pasta sauce - tomato, cream or olive oil based - or a saucy stir fry. The more surface area the chicken has, the more moisture it will absorb from a sauce.

(Other thoughts: pesto sauce, barbecue sauce, curry...)

soupcon

Chicken pot pie - cream sauce, frozen mixed veg + pastry or mashed potatoes for the top.. Make basic white or bechemel sauce, add frozen mixed veg (they will thaw in the sauce) and diced leftover chicken, portion into individual dishes or put all into a casserole, top with pastry or mashed potatoes and bake until pastry is cooked or the filling (in the case of the potato topping) is hot and bubbling.

I would make a chicken hash,
http://www.foodnetwork...

darksideofthespoon

I'd do soup all the way! Or slather it in mayo, grainy mustard, sriracha, garlic, shallots and celery - devour it as chicken salad.

To get the chicken moist prior to using it for a leftover recipe, gently simmer in some broth. Chicken salad is another good use for leftover chicken

cookbookchick

I would return it.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks, all, for the great suggestions! I wound up shredding the chicken, making a quick stock out of the rotisserie carcass, and then simmering the shredded chicken in the stock to moisten it. Then I made a sort of Thai-style stir-fry with the shredded chicken and vegetables, with a sauce made from leftover peanut sauce I'd made for another meal mixed with some of the stock. Not the prettiest meal I've ever made, but it was quite tasty,not to mention a triumph of economy!