A DARLING LIL' COOKER THAT MAKES THE FLUFFIEST RICE. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

Waterlogged chickpeas?

Trying out Melissa Clark's Small Batch Hummus, I left the cooked chickpeas in their warm broth for about 35 minutes. (Children! Always with their demands for food and safety and love!) I had turned off the heat when they were still slightly firm,anticipating such an interruption. The resulting hummus was creamy but super bland. Ramped up the flavors - but still incredibly mild. Can't believe Clark would post a bland hummus, so is this user error? Anyone ever waterlog their chickkpeas or dried beans? Ideas anyone? All other ingredients fresh and in good shape.

asked by JadeTree almost 4 years ago
39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

How strange -- never experienced water-logged beans or chickpeas myself. Maybe your dried chickpeas were just low on flavor? A bit more salt and lemon might do wonders.

My first thought is that you need more salt. Some batches of chickpeas seem to call for more than others do, and one teaspoon seems a fairly small amount for the amount of chickpeas. If salt, lemon, an garlic don't do it, perhaps the problem really is with the beans.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

How was the quality of the tahini? I find that most of the flavor in Humus comes from the tahini, lemon, salt and garlic. With the chick peas more of textural medium. I'd even say that 3 tablespoons of tahini for two cups end product in that recipe is bit shy for my tastes. Try adding more to see if that corrects--and a bit more salt and lemon juice.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Agree completely with the above. And sometimes lemon juice isn't as tart or flavourful, so you might need to add more than expected.