🔕 🔔

On a flight the other day, found an interesting recipe for a Thanksgiving cocktail in the Soutwest air magazine. You make a syrup with apple cider and spices and mix in ginger ale and bourbon. The recipe calls for a high end reserve bourbon. Husband says go cheap as it will not matter. Would love any opinions. thanks.

asked by healthierkitchen about 7 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I would go high end - cheap = thumping headache for one thing, plus in bourbon it really does make a difference, and it's the holidays and you are worth it! I am partial to Makers mark myself ...

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I agree, get good bourbon. Would you mind posting the recipe. It sounds yummy, and perfect for Thanksgiving.

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

I'm in complete agreement. Some things you just can't scrimp on!!

I found the recipe. It looks delicious! http://www.spiritmag.com...

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Was just about to post the link, yo beat me to it hardlikearmour! I have my cider all ready to make the syrup. thanks for the advice all

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

Echoing the high-end comments. Another option, cheaper and very good: Use a high-proof (100 proof) rye like Rittenhouse. Not as hip as reserve bourbon so much cheaper, a bottle of Rittenhouse rye should stay under $20.

B6d7f1fa 0eca 415b 81ca e2f680e77008  me

Love the idea of Rittenhouse, but it's been unavailable again for the past several months and may be hard to find. If you can't find it, and Old Overholt is available, it should sub well enough.

Woodford Reserve, which the recipe calls for, is an excellent bourbon and well-sippable on its own, if you're into that kind of thing. And Ben Barker's reasoning for preferring the Woodford in this drink seems sound. Often, cocktails are crafted around a particular spirit, and using a substitute really does change the character of the drink.

If you *are* inclined to go with cheap bourbon, look for Evan Williams Black label. It's surprisingly good for the price you'll pay, it mixes well in cocktails, and it won't screw you up like, oh, Jim Beam might.

If you're looking for a good bourbon that usually is pretty cheap, Bulleit is a good option. It tastes just as good as $35 bourbon in my opinion, but I can find it in a lot of places for about $23.

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

All the years that I have cooked, I have found in most cases that the finer quality alcohols have such a subtle, refined taste, that they do not have much to add to the recipe. Believe it or not, cheaper stuff has a more pronounced flavour and gives you the results you are looking for when cooking. I would go for the cheaper.