🔕 🔔

Need to steam lobster 24 hours ahead. Is is best to store in the shell or shucked? (making lobster rolls)

asked by hitpas almost 7 years ago

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I can't say which way is better, but I can tell you that I also steamed lobsters for lobster rolls last summer, shucked the meat and stored it overnight in an airtight container - and it was perfectly fine. (Had no time for shelling the morning of the lunch.) I waited to mix it up with the mayo, etc. shortly before serving.

And now I'm SO craving a lobster roll!

If it is fully oooked you can hold it sealed in the refrigerator,and that's probably preferred. And at the same time you can use the heads and shells to make a fast lobster stock. Bay leaf, carrot, onion, Old Bay seasoning. Doesn't need much more than that. You can freeze the stock or use it right away.