best method for make-ahead rolls

I volunteered to bring dinner rolls for 50 to my boyfriend's family Thanksgiving - what was I thinking?? They are 70 miles away but I'd like them to be somewhat fresh. What's the best method? Partial bake and freeze, rise in the fridge or something else? I don't know how much room she'll have in her oven that day. It would make me feel better if they were done ahead so I won't be panicking at the last minute if they don't turn out. Any suggestions? THANKS!

• Posted by: CRussell
  • November 21, 2011

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti November 21, 2011

I think your prep the rolls, par-bake, freeze, and finish in the oven at the last minute idea is a good one. Will there be any oven time available? Rolls are important! What kind are you thinking of making?

CRussell
CRussell November 21, 2011

I'd reallllly like to make some pumpkin dinner rolls that I found online, but not sure now is a good time to be experimenting with something new, on top of the timing and travel issues. Added stress! So if I par-bake and freeze, I'll probably do some basic yeast rolls from Cooks Illustrated, and maybe test the pumpkin ones out as well. I think she should have room for me to pop the rolls in to heat up once the turkey is out...if not, well my mom is about a mile away from there so maybe she can bail me out...